Tuesday, June 15, 2010

life in nepal begins..

hello girls, how are you doing? i just finished class, i continued with the buddha face. drew my fourth buddha face this morning. i showed tenzin the headmaster and he said out of all of them, the first attempt is the best one! the shape of the face is good. actually its funny how the more i draw the more difficult i feel it is.. every single little detail counts. i find the jaw and the little chin most difficult and also to get the both eyes of the same size. oh i cant wait to start class again tmr!

anyway ok! today i thought i would introduce my tibetan family a bit more. Acha-la still has 5 other kids who are studying in dharmasala, india. tenzin yangkyi is the youngest of the six. and this is drolma the 9 yo famiy dog. to tenzin, its her siste

i pretty much have a schedule now. i wake up at 6:45am every morning, by then miss tenzin and her mom are already up, they wake up at 5am. haha.... people here wake up really early. we will have breakfast together at about 7:15am. its usually roti (like pita bread) and an omelette and tibetan milk tea (its salty tea. haha) this morning we had tsampa. then i will leave for school at 7:45am. about 5mins walk. passing by lots of rubbish... and stray dogs. two very common sights in nepal. after acha-la sent tenzin yangkyi off to school at 8:30am, she will go back home to prepare the rice noodles to bring it to her little street store to sell. its bascially sliced rice noodles with soya sauce and chilli. it is actually a snack introduced by the chinese in lhasa. its called 'la-phing' (i duno how to spell it but my friend told me its pronounced as 'laughing') haa... sometimes after school, i would drop by. and miss tenzin would be there after school to help her mom and also to play with the other kids. however, now when i am around, she can go home with me and we will have afternoon tea and play a bit. yesterday i bought a little cake, oh she really loves it. seeing her eating so happily, makes me really happy. lately we play a lot of colouring and 'photo-taking'. she would make a paper origami camera and pretend to take a photo of me, and then she would draw me and give me my 'photo' haha.. this is a nice drawing of me. haha.. to meifang, i have stopped using mineral water to wash my face and rinse my teeth. haha... you see, the bathing water in the house is yellowish, its earth water. and there is a smell to it. haha.. hm it doesnt look so yellow on the photo. so the first few days i was using mineral water for my face and teeth. however i stopped last weekend, well so far my face is fine, and i feel fine. so touch wood. this is the toilet. reminds me of my grandparents' house where i spent my childhood. excess water is always saved in pails to be used for different purposes. how lucky we are yeah, living in the rich countries. there are so many moments when i just feel so moved by the way the joy and innocence of the people here, and it feels especially touching when i am living with them. and i am living with baby cockroaches, and some mice in the kitchen. however the way acha-la says it, it seems perfectly fine to have mice in the kitchen. well, they are everywhere. even in the guesthouse i used to stay in, you can hear them sometimes but you duno where they are. haha... and there are 2 spiders in my room. my pet spiders. i keep saying out loud, as long as you guys dun harm me, dun come near me, we can live happily together. no problem. haha oh my dad and mom will faint if they know where i am living in now. i dun think everyone can 'tahan' this. this is the kitchen.
last nite i was lying on my bed, i am thinking maybe i am really crazy. what am i doing? haha.. but i am happily crazy or crazily happy. i feel at home. this is going to be my home and family at least till my exam next year.
ok! its about 6:40pm now, i want to go drop by acha-la's store and pick up miss tenzin to go home. ok thank you girls for reading! you have a great week ahead! i will blog again on fri. i think every tues and fri i will check my emails and blog. je-la-je-yong (see you soon in tib)!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jas said...

Hi! Glad u are having fun in Nepal & i love the clothes u guys bring in!
Btw can i enquire since you are based in HK, is there a shipping company you can recommend as my fren is heading there next month for his business trip and i wana buy alot of stuff in HK!

June 17, 2010 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home